FAQ - Sometimes I get mold on top of my mulch. What is it, and is it harmful?

During periods of heavy rain or excessive watering a yellow mass can form on organic mater and plants.  It is called Fuligo septica; or commonly know as Slime Mold or Dog Vomit.

While the appearance of this mold may raise a high level of concern the first thing you should know is it is not toxic and will not harm your lawn, garden or plants. 

It feeds on moist organic mater and forms a yellow patch which will turn a greyish-ivory color. 

Dog Vomit Slim Mold  

The best way to get rid of Slime Mold

  • Expose it to light, sunshine and dry weather whenever possible for a natural way to get rid of it.
  • Dig out the slim mold.  This is the cheapest way to get rid of it.  However, it is possible for it to come back.  Just remember not to over water this area.

How not to get rid of Slime Mold

  • Do not spray water on it to dissipate to remove it.  This chain reaction started because there was too much moisture, remember.  


  • Allow nature to take its course.  Slime mold of this type won't hurt your lawn or garden.  Dry air and sunshine will usually do the trick
  • If you have irrigation be sure to water these areas less.